Around the fourth of July I noted that it’s no accident I like running. It provides an excellent opportunity to engage in exercise without the need for socialization. Loners love the sport. I mentioned at the end of the Insanity 60 Day Challenge that for my next endeavor I planned to join a 12 week running clinic. I understand that in and of itself the concept of a running group stands in contrast to the loner position.
Nonetheless, I was excited about the prospect. We woke up early and Shannan and I milled around the house. I packed my running bag, made a fruit smoothie and we decided to drive to the convenience store for coffee. To my surprise, time zipped along faster than I had noticed. It was already 7:07 a.m., and I needed to be across town, NOW. I drove faster than I like to do and arrived at the starting point for the running clinic two minutes tardy.
The parking lot was packed, holiday shopping style. I later learned that three running groups meet at the same place. Luckily, with it being the first day, our group hadn’t started running yet. I made a quick stop in the restroom. When I returned the groups had separated. The folks running the longer distance had left already. I hurried behind.
A good number of runners cruised through the parking lot and filed onto the sidewalk, creating a thick bottle neck. Thirty or so people moved slowly on the narrow concrete path. I had every intention of running with the pack. I didn’t mind the reduced speed, so much as being crammed together. I desperately wanted to be free. Finally, a fellow made a move to the outside and began to pass. I followed.
We ran in tandem for a couple of miles, no conversation--just running amid upscale office parks, then out in the remnant of farms that soon will succumb to the ever-encroaching urban sprawl. It was a cool morning and a perfect day to be outside. For me, the five miler turned out to be a strong run. Back at our assembly area one of the coaches shared stretching techniques. I picked up several new ones. Participants made casual introductions. I’m looking forward to the next three months of running and learning. I may even practice my grossly lacking social skills.
Tom
No comments:
Post a Comment